Monday, May 24, 2010

#001 Personal Space

Personal space - everyone has their own, and for very good reason. People are most comfortable when an adequate space is kept between themselves and others. I am no stranger to this concept, but lately it seems a lot of other people are having trouble grasping the fundamentals of this topic.

For exercise I regularly go lap swimming in a public pool in a more-rural-than-suburban suburb. There is this one woman who has not only invaded my personal space once, but TWICE. There are 10 shower heads in this shower area, and she chose the shower head adjacent to mine, both times, completely nude. It would have even bothered if she was actually wearing her swimsuit, but she was NUDE!!! AND, not only was she nude, she was TALKING TO ME. IN THE SHOWER.

So everyone's got their quirks... and I try to be tolerant the first time and not fly off the handle like a cranky bitch that can't stand everyone and everything that she can't control. Unfortunately, the second time she did this to me there were three small (<4 years old) girls and an adult female getting wet in the showers prior to entering the pool. Had they not been there, I definitely would have said something. You can bet that I WILL say something if this happens again.

And today, while at a major buy-in-bulk store, the 6'7" man standing behind me waiting in line decided it would be necessary to stand less than a foot away from me (while I was at the register) while he was the last person in line with 15 feet of space behind him. Seriously dude, NO ONE is going to try and cut in front of you. The store wasn't even that busy, with literally less than three orders in each line.

No comments:

Post a Comment