Thursday, September 18, 2014

#126 Saying: "Do what now?"

I have previously written about having to repeat myself and how much I dislike doing so. Recently I have had some interactions with people located outside of my home state, and they repeat a phrase which they intend for me to repeat myself or clarify further. This phrase is, "Do what now?"

After doing a little bit of research on the internet, apparently (according to non-published sources) this is a "Southern U.S." colloquialism. I would say that I can agree with the fact that it could potentially be a regional saying, much like soda is represented by soda / soft drink / pop / soda pop, etc. in different parts of the United States, but I’m not convinced it is only prevalent in the South.

This phrase frustrates me. Saying "Do what now?" implies that I asked you to do something. I'm not asking anyone to do anything. If you didn't hear me, you can simply use other words to ask me to repeat what I said. If I ask, "How many pencils are on the table?" or, "How is your sister feeling?" this should elicit a singular, definitive answer, and then maybe an further explanation if necessary.

It is entirely possible that the people who use this phrase often are not even aware that they are doing so. It is also entirely possible that people say this all the time and other people simply do not recognize that it is being said, or simply don't care. I tend to pay very close attention to detail, and I pick up on things like this – for better or worse.

I sincerely feel that the world would be a better place if everyone was more self-aware.

No comments:

Post a Comment