Wednesday, June 10, 2015

#136 Sink Strainer Replacement

Like many households, my kitchen features a double sink. On one side there is a garbage disposal, and on the other side there is a drain with a basket-style strainer. For the most part, the strainer stays in the drain-only side, and only gets removed when there is debris in the strainer or if it deserves a run through the dishwasher. At least, this is how I handle the strainer. The other adult that I live with apparently thinks otherwise.

It is obvious when they decide to do the "cleaning" because I will find the sink in this state:

Let's say I want to pre-soak something (a heavy pot, perhaps) in the drain side because that side happens to be larger and more accommodating than the disposal side. Rather than just placing it in the sink, I have to first go make sure that there are no obstructions (like the fucking strainer) before I set it down. If the strainer is NOT in the drain, then I have to return the heavy pot to (probably) the stove, then go back and put the strainer in the drain, and then start all over again. Why can't I just assume the strainer is in place rather than having to check for it each time?!

I'm left wondering why this is necessary. Why not put it back in the drain? Why leave it upside down outside the drain? Did they want it to dry thoroughly? - can't that happen while it is sitting in the drain while the sink is not in use?? I seriously can not think of one single instance why it would be beneficial to leave it out of the drain.

No comments:

Post a Comment