Monday, October 10, 2016

#140 Acting Before Thinking

"Think before you act."

I honestly can't think of a more fundamental principle of adulthood, especially when it comes to maintaining relationships.

While I was finishing up in the shower the other night, my spouse was getting ready for bed. Over the shower, I stated, "I'd like to change the sheets tonight, can you get it started? I can help when I'm out."

My spouse replied, "I guess."

I finished getting out of the shower and drying off when I hear my spouse flop onto the bed after the sheet-changing had been completed without my assistance. Below is the actual conversation that took place.

spouse: AHHHHHHHHHHHH, stinky sheets.
me: Stinky sheets?
spouse: Yeah, it smells like you washed them with the vacuum cleaner.
me: Did you smell them before you took the dirty ones off the bed?
spouse: yeah, but what was I supposed to do?
me: Maybe NOT change the sheets?!

My spouse then proceeded to strip the bed so that now both sets - the "dirty" sheets and pillow cases as well as the "stinky" sheets and pillow cases - were in the dirty clothes bin. After that, my spouse removed their pajamas and put them into the dirty clothes bin as well.

me: Was it that bad that your pajamas stunk after just laying on the stinky sheets for like five seconds?
spouse: They stunk. (puts everything in the washer) Do we have any other sheets or pillow cases?
me: No.

I am a reasonable and logical person. If I came out of the shower and the sheets were not changed, I would ask why. I would also agree that they should not be changed if the only other set of sheets we had stunk so horrendously that the smell would permeate our clothes and bodies overnight (or within minutes?!). Why on earth would my spouse continue changing the sheets if the new ones stunk from (probably) being left in the washer too long???

No comments:

Post a Comment