Wednesday, January 5, 2011

#029 New Year Resolutions

People these days are getting more lazy every year, so much so that they actually need a reason to do something positive with their life. Enter the "New Year's Resolution": what better time to start being a better person than the new year, right?!

Bullshit.

Really the only things that start over with a new year are health care coverage, taxes, and the calendar.

Why do people need a reason to be a better person? Why can't they just do them "just because"?

One of the most common resolutions is to go to the gym more often or lose weight. This causes practically mass hysteria for like the first three weeks of January, where people are consistently trying to get to the gym two, three, four or more times per week. This typically doesn't last more than a few weeks, and definitely by the end of February people just become preoccupied and stop going. Then they're like, "Well, I'm still paying for it, so I should try to go more". The next thing they know, they're going "more", but that's like once a week, at best. Mondays are always the busiest at my gym, because people try to make an effort to start the week off by going to the gym, and they promise themselves that they're going to go every day... when actually they may never even make it back!

Instead of saying to yourself (on Thursday), "I didn't do well about going to the gym this week, I'm going to go on Monday and go every day", why not just go NOW?! Don't wait for a new week to "start off right", start it NOW. Personally, I knew I was going to likely put on weight over the holidays, so I joined a gym at the end of November and I have been going as much as my schedule allows since I joined. Now that it's January, I'm seeing a lot of new faces during my usual time there, and I can tell some of these people have never been to a gym in their lives! Good for them... but we'll see how long it lasts.

The point is this: Don't go out of your way to specify a resolution for yourself for this year or ANY year. You should be constantly trying to better yourself - don't wait for a new year to do it.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Melanie, I hope to be a better person this year and go sailing with you more often. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would LOVE for you to go sailing with me more often!!!

    ReplyDelete