Wednesday, October 5, 2011

#074 Shopping Carts (Proper Disposition)

I have been bothered by shopping carts before, but that time it was about not having enough carts on the lot when you need them. In this case, I am irritated with people that don't return the shopping carts to a safe and secure place.

There are some really good reasons that cart corrals exist: they serve to protect vehicles from being struck by stray carts, and they help keep them collected in one central location so returning them to the store (by store employees) is easier.

I used to work at a grocery store, and on several occassions I have witnessed carts being blown across the parking lot and strike vehicles from many different angles. Another thing that is annoying is when I pull up to park in a spot that appears empty from down the row of parked cars, but when I pull up to park in the spot, the spot is littered with shopping carts instead. It's even worse when this cart-occupied-parking-spot is only a few spots down from the cart corral!

I have also seen the majority of people just leave their carts on the lines in between parking spaces, or, if they parked near a curb, actually lift the front end of the cart up and park the wheels in the grass on the other side of the curb. I suspect they do this so that the cart doesn't roll away... but seriously: don't be lazy! Put the carts in the cart corrals!

3 comments:

  1. One of these days, you need to go shopping with my better half and I. He rants (quite loudly) in the parking lot about lazy people and shopping carts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we discussed this and I would go a step further to add if there is a divider and the store has two types of carts, put one size in one side and the other size in the other.

    ReplyDelete