Wednesday, December 14, 2011

#082 Fax Machines

Fax machines are actually quite complex by design, but not so complex to use (in fact, they're quite easy to use). According to this Wikipedia page, fax machines have been around since the mid 1850's (who knew!), and were actually around prior to the invention of telephones... which seems a bit backwards to me.

So I have to ask: WHY are we still using technology that is so outdated? Just about everyone has access to a scanner these days (whether at home or work), and for small things (one or two pages) you could literally take a photo with your smartphone and email it that way instead of finding a scanner or fax machine to send it somewhere. Also, the quality is so much better when you can scan a document as opposed to using a fax machine. Fax machines typically come out very grainy and often are difficult to read once they’re printed... not to mention it's a waste of paper on the receiving end.

I recently had to fax several documents to a banking institution, and they required me to send it over a "secure fax line". I asked if I could just email it directly to the agent instead, and I was told that they must receive the documents via the "secure fax", not via email due to security reasons.

So, naturally I inquired as to how the agent receives the documents once they're faxed. “Is someone sitting by the fax machine waiting for the document to come in? Do they wait for it to finish printing then physically walk the printouts over to the person to which it is addressed? I find it hard to believe there is a separate fax number for each individual agent – so how is it 'secure'?" Their response: they come in as an electronic document to their email. What the f^@&?!??! So WHYYYYYYY can't I scan and email it?!??

I compare using fax machines over scanning/emailing to using dial-up over cable internet: it's there to use if that's your only option, but the newer, faster technology is always more preferred.

No comments:

Post a Comment