Monday, December 12, 2011

#081 Touching (Me)

Hi, do I know you? No?? Then DON'T TOUCH ME.

I have worked with some people in the past that think just because you have casual (non-work-related) conversations with someone from time to time, that gives them the right to put their arm around your shoulders and give a "buddy hug", lightly shove or poke or rub your arm, bump shoulders, or otherwise touch or grab you on your person. Well, I am here to tell you that these actions are completely unacceptable. If we don't get together outside of work, you have no business coming into contact with any part of my body other than my hands or forearms (sometimes this is required when working in confined spaces).

I am by no means a prude in any way, and I am aware that in other cultures it is totally acceptable and even expected to kiss each other on one or more cheeks as a formal greeting (and I'm sure there are others that require intimate touching but none are really coming to mind right now), but where I'm from it just doesn't happen like that. A bow, a nod, a handshake... these are all acceptable. Touching me in any way other than that is not.

No comments:

Post a Comment