Wednesday, February 22, 2012

#089 Massive Flight Attendants


Traditionally, flight attendants have been younger, good-looking females. Lately I've been seeing more and more male flight attendants, and I think that's great. On a recent domestic flight I had a flight attendant that was neither female nor good-looking, but he was funny and that definitely made the experience better.

What I DON'T think is great, however, are 300-pound flight attendants that can't fit their fat asses down the aisle without brushing their massive thighs against every passenger along the way.

I am by no means slim, so I am not really one to judge someone based on their size. But if it's your job to provide service to people and you are supposed to provide the best service possible, I feel like providing the best service possible is NOT rubbing up against every passenger as you waddle down the aisle while serving food or beverages.

When I must fly on an airplane I generally take the aisle seat when possible so I do not have to climb over others when I get up frequently to either urinate or simply stretch my legs. On average, I get up about once per hour, so a middle seat wouldn't really work either (unless I was seated next to someone that I was travelling with, which I wouldn't mind asking them to move... but a complete stranger – no). I don't choose the window for the same reason, but also because leg room is restricted on the window seat – the wall comes down on an angle and leg room is limited.

I recently took an international flight that was about 7 hours long, and on this flight there was a blonde female flight attendant, maybe early-to-mid-40s, about 5"5' and she had to weigh every ounce of 300 pounds or more. Since this flight was an overnight flight, I was desperately trying to get some sleep because I had to go straight to work once we landed at 7:30 am local time. I had my neck pillow, a pillow behind my back, and a blanket over me to try to be as comfortable as possible... and I swear she must have bumped me 23 times throughout the entire flight, and every time she walked past me from the rear her thigh brushed against my arm and dragged the blanket down off of me. I was SO CLOSE to saying something to her but I didn't want to be "that guy" and cause a scene on the airplane and godforbid have an air marshall have to restrain me for the rest of the flight or something.

I feel like this is borderline unacceptable. I'm all for equal opportunity and not discriminating, but seriously? Her uniform was literally bursting at the seams! I doubt she was always that large, but I feel like perhaps I should complain to the airline or something.

4 comments:

  1. I think I downplayed how seriously annoyed I was during this flight. I was fuming. I was a pubic hair away from throwing my hands in the air and yelling at this bitch. My irritated-ness prevented me from calming down enough to try to get some sleep, in addition to the 6"5' 260-lb dude sitting in the middle seat next to me, encroaching on my legroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mentioned that your trip was work-related. Perhaps next time you could upgrade yourself to first-class and have much more room and less drama?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps, but the company won't pay for the upgrade and I didn't have enough frequent flyer miles to be eligible for an upgrade. I may consider paying for it myself if it is not too costly, next time...

    ReplyDelete