Monday, February 27, 2012

#090 Slamming Doors (Hotel Rooms)

Hotel rooms are generally very basic, but one safety feature most of them seem to have is the heavy, self-closing door. This is especially helpful if your hands are full of luggage or if you simply forget to push your door closed all the way. Unfortunately this feature can also be very annoying if you're trying to sleep and people down the hall from you are going in and out of their rooms with the doors slamming behind them.

On a recent business trip I stayed in an older hotel that had modern accommodations. The hotel was located in a pretty nice area that seemed to attract mostly middle-to-upper class patrons. All of the doors in this particular hotel were of the heavy, self-closing variety and every time someone used their door (and it slammed) the wall seemed to shake each and every time. This is particularly aggravating when you have changed 6 time zones and your schedule has not yet acclimated to the new time zone. Taking a nap is next to impossible unless you're a very heavy sleeper, and since I'm a light-to-medium sleeper... needless to say, I didn't get much sleep on this trip. Luckily most of the people seemed to be my age and older, so most of them went to sleep around the same time I did, but it was still something that I could have done without.

When I am in this situation and I am aware of things that bother others, I will always do my best to make sure I don't become one of "those people" when it comes to these things. The majority of people won't even realize these things are bothering others. I, however, will make it a point to hold my door as it is closing to make sure it doesn't slam upon latching. I wish others would do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment