Monday, August 13, 2012

#105 Audibly-Ticking Watches

Recently I had to attend a meeting with everyone that works in the same building as me, regarding some topics that applied to me and most that did not. While attempting to NOT look like I was falling asleep, I was quickly distracted by someone behind me who I thought was fidgeting. I HATE fidgeting. I thought this person's leg was literally going to bounce off of their body and land on the floor behind me – that's what it sounded like.

Alas, I was mistaken. It wasn't until after I had already shot the culprit a few dirty looks did I realize that they were not, in fact, fidgeting... it was their wristwatch making the noise.

This person had a wristwatch that ticked 4 times every second. All I could focus on for the rest of this boring meeting was this incessant ticking, and I seriously just wanted to rip the watch right off of this person's arm. It just kept ticking, and ticking, and ticking... My head was about, what, 2 or 2.5 feet from this person's wrist? Why could I hear every single tick that came out of this thing? I'm sure other people could hear it, too. Why weren't they bothered by it? Why wasn't the wearer bothered by it? Does the wearer have a hearing impairment? That would be the only way that I could possibly fathom this person is able to wear that watch without being driven completely mad by the relentless ticking of this fucking watch, but I know for a fact that the wearer can hear just fine.

I understand that mechanical watches require the ticking in order to keep time, but with such a new, sophisticated timepiece that this person was wearing, one would be inclined to think that the manufacturer would have placed greater emphasis on buffering the sound being emitted from the device. Unfortunately, that was not the case.

I am not opposed to people wearing watches – I wear a watch (one that ticks) every day on my wrist. I just don't think watches should be able to be heard any farther away than about 2 inches from one's ear (or less!).

5 comments:

  1. What bothers me is you! You claim to be a professional and comment about dirty toilets and co-workers ticking watches. Does your employer know about this blog? You should be fired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, you don't like my blog? That's too bad. But guess what? YOU DON'T HAVE TO READ IT. Perhaps you should start your own blog, and you could call it "What Bothers I'm-Too-Chicken-Shit-To-Post-My-Real-Name". I bet you'd have tons of readers.

    There is absolutely no reason I should be fired. I never mention the name of my employer nor where they are located nor any other specific information that has anything to do with the company. I don't complain out loud to the people that I work with or even work for, which is why my blog exists. If you don't like it, don't read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand your dilemma and I might also be bothered if I were on your shoes. At least you tried to keep your cool during the meeting and burst everything online instead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice perspective. Thats why its said A man is known by the Watch he wears.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice Perspective. Thats whay it is said a Man is known by the watch he wears.

    ReplyDelete