Wednesday, April 17, 2013

#114 Sour Cream

Sour cream is delicious. Even my lactose intolerance can't keep me away! For the most part I use sour cream on Mexican foods, and I like to use a lot of it. Of course sour cream is used for various other dishes, but rarely is it used as a topping as often as on Mexican food (for me, anyways).

However, sour cream is not so easy to spread and that really bothers me. There is a particular brand whose slogan is "Do a Dollop", but I couldn't think of anything I'd rather do less with sour cream. I don't want some gigantic mound of sour cream right in the middle of my dish.... OH NO. I want to spread that sour cream all around and share the white creamy goodness with every bite of my meal. So how does one do this? SQUEEZE SOUR CREAM.

I'm kind of surprised that squeeze sour cream is not as popular as perhaps it should be. The person I live with insists that it tastes worse than the "dollop" variety. I would agree that it tastes different, because after all they are made from different companies... but not worse. This person also gets practically irate over the fact that I would even purchase the kind you squeeze.

When you go to a fast-food restaurant with a Mexican cuisine, they use a device that looks like a caulk gun to inject the sour cream along the length of the item (taco, burrito, etc.). Who wants to waste their time with a heaping spoonful of sour cream just to fling it onto the food and not be able to spread it?! Not me, that's for sure. And the restaurant doesn't have time for that crap, either. Shoot it on there, wrap it up. Next!

It seems like such a waste, also. You stick the spoon in the tub of sour cream, you drop your dollop onto your food, and then your spoon still has sour cream on it. Then you risk contaminating the tub of sour cream because as you're attempting to fling the sour cream off the spoon, often times the spoon will contact the food... then you can't put the spoon back in the tub for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment