Thursday, August 15, 2013

#119 Attempting to Avoid Perception of Laziness

Laziness is a major turnoff. I'm not opposed to being lazy on occasion because sometimes you JUST NEED TO be lazy in order to relax and recharge. However, people who are habitually lazy but say things to imply that they don't want to be perceived as lazy piss me off the most. Let me give you an example:

The trash is full and overflowing, so much so that in order to put more trash in the can one must physically remove the lid, insert the trash, then replace the lid in order for the trash to be contained (which, in and of itself, pisses me off), making it impossible for anyone after them to insert more trash because the same scenario (the lid cannot open because there's too much trash) repeats until someone finally removes the bag. When the lazy person in question sees me frustratingly removing the lid and removing the bag, they state, "I was going to do that" as if to tell me, "Don't think I'm lazy just because I didn't remove the garbage… I was going to get to it at some point. Like, probably when the bag gets so full that it rips while being removed creating yet another mess that needs to be cleaned."

Don't tell me "I was going to do that", but rather: DO IT. You knew when you removed the lid to fit more trash in there that the can was full and should probably be emptied. So why didn't you do it? If you had to throw anything else away after that, it would have taken more effort to remove the lid again than to just remove the bag then and there so a fresh bag could be inserted and the lid could swing freely. But, no. That did not happen. You were too lazy to do that.

This scenario doesn't only apply to trash, but to any other mandatory regularly-occurring task that needs to happen such as:

Unloading / loading the dishwasher. "I was going to do that."
Picking up dog poop. "I was going to do that."
Mowing the lawn. "I was going to do that."
Doing / putting away laundry. "I was going to do that."
Putting fuel in the car. "I was going to do that."
Getting the mail. "I was going to do that."
Making a meal. "I was going to do that."
Running the vacuum. "I was going to do that."
Cleaning the bathroom. "I was going to do that."

If you notice something that needs to happen (i.e. any of the above items or anything else) that you keep putting off, don't just look at it and think to yourself, "I should really do that..." and then NOT do it. Don’t be lazy. Be like the old Nike campaign: just do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment