Monday, December 8, 2014

#129 Vehicle Locking (Key Fob)

I drive over 100 miles every weekday. The bulk of these miles are accumulated going to and from work, but the additional few miles here and there are made going out to lunch or making stops along the way. Due to this massive amount of driving, my coworker and I take turns behind the wheel.

One thing that drives me insane (and believe me, there are many) is the fact that my coworker refuses to use the key fob to lock the doors while walking away from parking the vehicle. Rather than use the key fob when both of us have closed the doors, he will lock the vehicle from the switch on the inside of the door as he's exiting the vehicle. This occurs when he's either the driver OR the passenger.

I guess this wouldn't be such a big deal if I didn't keep my purse in the rear seat, but every time I pop out of the vehicle and quickly try to open the rear door before he's hit the lock button, I rarely make it before he's done it. Then I have to wait for him to pull the keys back out of his pocket, locate the unlock button, then unlock the car, wait for me to pull out my purse, close the door, and then lock it again.

While I agree that keeping my purse in the rear seat is not the most efficient place for it to be located, I will argue that it is the best place for it for several reasons: 1. I don't want to put it on the floor because the floor is dirty, 2. the center console is not a suitable place for it, 3. I don't want to hold it for an hour while I'm a passenger, 4. it won't fit on my body while I'm buckled in as a driver, 5. it is less likely to cause injury in the event of a collision.

It's not like we're going to (or live in) a crime-ridden community. He attributes it more to habit than anything else. My question is whether he wants to make it a habit of me yelling at him, or just NOT hitting the lock button before closing his door?

No comments:

Post a Comment